Some tips to deter potential burglars:
1. Install some dummy surveillance cameras. Here’s how
2. Buy light timers for your indoor and outdoor lights.
3. Don’t leave a ladder just hanging out in your backyard. Most burglars don’t BYOL. So don’t make their jobs easier by supplying them with an easy way to get into your bedroom.
4. Mow your lawn/shovel your snow.. People will wonder if the frequency of your visits while your lifting, if you let your grass grow too high or your snow isn’t shovel. (Or have the neighbors leave tracks in the snow)
5. Don’t leave status updates broadcasting that you’re away or not in the house.
6. Buy some fake alarm system decals if you can’t afford a real one.
7. Use a wooden dowel or metal bar for sliding doors and windows so they can’t be pried open.
8. Build a secret hiding place for your valuables. Here’s some DIY for hiding places.
9. Bring your valuables with you while you’re out of your house.