During last week’s council meeting the original high rise zoning ordinance 0-13-16 was defeated. The agenda indicated the public hearing and adoption for the new ordinance 0-13-25 was set for Oct 16th. There were only minor differences between the two ordinances, most notably around set backs and a clarification on height. (Although, the lawyer did state that in his opinion, the new ordinance was only 10% the same – you can hear him by ff the streamed meeting 1.27 – 1.33)
Home owners that are within 200 feet in proximate to Shadow Lawn subsequently received letters indicating the hearing and adoption is actually September 18th.
If you wish to voice your dissent for the Hi-rise as well the unethical behavior of the council you can cut & paste the following into an email or letter:
Carolyn Cummins Borough Clerk
Subject: Ordinance 0-13-25
I am a tax payer in Highlands. I am writing to ask you to vote NO Wednesday Sept 18th on 0-13-25 which amends the zoning on the Shadow Lawn property via ordinance as opposed to through variance.
I am opposed to this ordinance amendment for the following reasons:
- Financial analysis indicates that the financial burden this residential development puts on the borough far outweighs the marginal tax benefits
- Slump Block issues put that development as well as the surrounding community at risk of mud slide
- Environmental and ecological considerations have not been adequately addressed /mitigated
- Traffic impacts have not been addressed
- Other impacts on infrastructure (including but not limited to sewer) have not been properly researched, documented, and made available
- It is in violation of the current Master Plan
- The multiple attempts to spot zone this property exposes the borough to costly litigation
- The ordinance process has been pushed through without consideration and acknowledgement the majority of Highlands does NOT want it.
For the above reasons, this amendment is NOT IN THE BEST INTERESTS OF OUR BOROUGH.
I would like to further remind all the council, that you work for US, the residents and tax payers of Highlands.
I urge you to vote NO on the subject Ordinance at the next meeting.